Edible Flower Pots
Looking for a delicious snack to celebrate Earth Day? Edible flowerpots are a delicious and fun edible representation of what Earth Day is all about…dirt and stuff that grows in it. They are quick and easy to make and loved by kids and adults alike.
What you will need:
Chocolate cupcakes – You will need 1 cupcake per edible flowerpot. They can be homemade or store bought, frosted or unfrosted. If they are frosted make sure they are frosted with chocolate frosting.
Chocolate pudding – You will need 6oz of pudding per edible flowerpot. Again, you can use homemade or store bought.
Flower shaped lollipops (or salt water taffy and drinking straws) – I purchased the flower shaped flower lollipops featured in the Earth Day episode of Glitter, Glue and Gluttony (watch the episode here: http://youtu.be/xWorpKEyIjA) at my local Party City. If you cannot get the lollipops do not fear, there is another option. You can make your own out of saltwater taffy and drinking straws.
8 oz. clear serving container – I used 8 oz. lowball glasses.
Let’s make some edible flowerpots:
1. Remove the cupcake from cupcake paper.
2. Cut the cupcake into thirds.
3. Place the bottom third of the cupcake in the bottom of your serving container.
4. Top with 1/2 of the pudding.
5. Place some gummy worms in the serving container so that they are visible from the side.
6. Place another layer of cupcake on top of the pudding layer. If the cupcake is frosted, use that third for the middle layer of the flowerpot.
7. Top with 1/2 of the pudding.
8. Crumble the last third of the cupcake and cover the pudding layer with the crumbs.
9. Stick lollipops in the serving container so it looks as if they are growing out of the flowerpot.
10. Garnish with more gummy worms.
How to make saltwater taffy flowers:
What you will need:
Saltwater taffy – You will need 1 piece for each flower plus a little extra to attach it to the straw.
Drinking straws – Colored straws look more festive as flower stems.
Red Hots candy – I used these for the center of the flowers but you can also use rolled up balls of a contrasting color of taffy.
1. Place a wrapped piece of saltwater taffy in the microwave for 3-5 seconds to soften.
2. Unwrap taffy and place on a square of wax paper. Cover with another square of wax paper.
3. Flatten out the taffy into about a ¼ of an inch circle. You can use a rolling pin, bottom of a small frying pan or whatever you want. This is going to be your flower.
4. Push a Red Hot candy into the center of the taffy circle. You can also use a small ball of a contrasting color of taffy.
5. Attach the flower to the straw. Flatten another piece of taffy the same color as the flower. Place the straw on the back of the flower. Cover with the taffy which has been moistened slightly. Press to secure. Let dry.
6. Repeat these steps for each flower.
So fun! So yummy!
Watch the Earth Day episode of Glitter, Glue and Gluttony here: